Thursday, February 19, 2009

"The Klondike" by Byron

Early one Friday, I went to the church to meet my troop to head to the Klondike. We went to Cedar Mountain.
One of our leaders(the Bowles) went up early to get the best spot and sure enough, we got a large area with a huge snow pile, and immediately set off to work. A few others and I started to dig out an area to put the fire pit and a place to put chairs, while others built paths, set up kitchen and packing the snow on the mound. We had a lot of activities which included drilling through a lake, fishing for mouse traps and a sled race. The cave was warm at night and the whole first day was devoted the the making of the cave.
(center) the inside of the cave in the morning ( I'm all the way down in the cave)


(top) the mound with the tall flag and back to the trees was our camp
(Bottom) the activity fishing for mouse traps (we also drilled through the lake we are standing on)



above is pictures
(top) finished snow cave
(center) finished snow cave
(bottom) almost finished snow cave



This is all our troop.

Above is the only hole we could make in the attempt to break the snow cave.





6 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Wow, that looks so awesome! I won't lie...I'm a bit bitter that girls don't really get to do all the cool stuff like that. Glad you were able to stay warm; that would definitely me my one concern. :)

Amberdawn said...

Makes me claustrophobic just looking at the cave! Sounds fun, except for the cave part.

The Mortensens said...

I love the snow cave! It's so cool! Looks like you guys had a great time.

Darrin Fry said...

Just a side note. The picture at the top of th Blog (the banner) is so your family.

Kelli said...

I would totally freeze to death! Glad you didn't Byron. It looks like you guys had lots of fun!

*Karleena* said...

Great post, Byron!! Looks super cold - glad it was you and not me there!! I'm glad you had a good time!